Friday, June 16, 2006

6-16-06 8:46 AM (CST)

It was destined to happen. I realized this morning as I was meeting with my manager that I, like thousands and thousands of people out there, had something unique, something essential, something compelling to offer the one or two people who accidentally typed my blog address into their address box and, by force of habit, read what was presented to them on the screen; hence, this blog.

My gift to the two of you: the details of how a high school English teacher is attempting to make the transfer into the corporate world.

Certainly some of you are thinking, "How can you make such a move? How can you tempt the devil? [and from those of you hard-core hippies] How can you sell out like that?" Well, perhaps my [no, I'm not going to use the word "rantings"-I'd like to see how many times that word is used in blogspace] observations over the next 2 months will answer those questions. And if they don't, I really don't know what else to tell you.

On June 1, 2006, I began a marketing internship at a car rental corporate headquarters located in Tulsa. I don't have the time right now to share with you all of the experiences I've had in just the past two weeks. Those nuggets will come over time. Suffice it to say, the experience has been good. Once I learn how to use the scanner here, I hope to upload a picture of my ID card-an item I proudly clip to my belt each and every work day (and the occasional indulgence on weekends). This item is a great source of pride for me, as it is the first token, the first tangible representation of my transfer into the corporate world. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that on said badge is a word that brings a degree of sadness: "TEMP" in bold, capital letters. I'm a little embarrassed for people to see the word. It is a constant reminder that my time as an intern here is going to run out soon. Everything else on this key to the breakroom, key to the 5th floor, key to the entire sky-scraping building is just right-well, except for the fact that they misspelled my name. They left the "y" off of my last name. But my wife, who has the uncanny ability to duplicate most types of printed text, Sharpie-ed in a "y" for me.

I must adjourn this session, but no doubt, I will post more again this very day. Blogging, like the guitar lessons of my adolescent years, will probably be a practice I partake in heavily at first, only to taper off after a short amount of time.

Regards,

Chris Posey
Intern

PS-We all know now that I am currently an English teacher. However, please do not spend your time scrutinizing my spelling, grammar, style, etc., for I will be making no attempt to preserve the English language in this Blog.

No comments: